Travel with Us: The Benefields

These are the tales of our family moving with the military. Our latest posting is our family's move from Hawaii back to the mainland and our cross country journey. We'll try to update it daily. Enjoy!

Monday, May 16, 2011

Day 18: Leaving Yellowstone

The second day in Yellowstone was much prettier. The snow had stopped and we could see mountains that were obscured yesterday. Still lots of wildlife.
 Trumpeter swan. (also known as the snow goose)
 Some sort of little ground squirrel. I don't think these were quite as ferocious as the Zion Canyon squirrels.(we later found out they have plague)
 Hot springs. Honestly it sounded like a volcano, bubbling and groaning out fumes.
 Did I mention that it stunk like sulfer? (or rotten eggs..take your pick) (oh! Becca is a pansy)
 Did I mention there was lot's of snow?

Lots of wildlife on the roads. These three big poppas were just cruising along.

 
 This series is called the Mammoth Hot Springs at the northern edge of the park. I don't know much about the springs, but they leave all sorts of calcium and obviously kill the trees in the path.
 The little holes in the middle are animal tracks. I guess they don't mind the heat or the stench. (Becca didn't either, after Mary dared her to put her hand in)

 At the source the water is just under boiling temperature. (Fortunately, Becca was further downstream when she accepted Mary's dare.)
 This was a dormant hot spring point.
 The buffalo, excuse me, bison walked right through the visitor center  parking lot. We stayed in the car until they had crossed the road. (unlike the Asian tourist, who managed to chase them away in their excitement)
 As we were leaving the park we passed a sign that said Sheep Management Area. I didn't know what it meant, but I kept my eyes pealed for Bighorn sheep. I finally spotted a couple at the very top of the ridgeline. Would you believe the proceeded to walk down the hill until they were right across the river from us. Verry, very cool.

 I think these are mountain goats, but they might have just been young bighorns.
 The exit gate of the park.
 Not totally sure about this, but I think a local put a coyote tail on his antenna.
(or maybe he was made fun of as a child and thought this would make him look "cooler")

 We actually made it all the way across the state to Little Bighorn. As we looked through the visitor center and drove the grounds I had this sick feeling in my stomach. I know it's a famous battle, but it's just a really sad chapter in our history, both for us and the American Indians.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home